Tonight I am “performing” the first public presentation of my research to the Ignite Boise crowd at the Egyptian Theater in Boise. It is a crowd heavy in tech, with a slightly palpable conservative bent … I’m thinking of making my next Ignite Boise pitch an analysis of the politics of Ignite Boise, but that’s a different story.
It’s also a free event, with beer, tailored to the short attention span set (AKA Twitter crowd). In other words, I have 5 minutes to convey 10 million years or so of immigration love stories. So I’m relying on some racy mental images in order to grab the crowd’s attention. But if anyone is interested in reading a bit deeper in this field, here are a few links I mention in my presentation.
For Census numbers, see:
- This recent study from the Pew Hispanic Center discusses unauthorized (their term) immigrants and their U.S. born children, and gives some clues as to mixed-status couples. I am working on crunching more Census numbers, but need some new database skills first. Pew is the go-to source for immigration-related data.
- Gary Gates’ BI-NATIONAL SAME-SEX UNMARRIED PARTNERS IN CENSUS 2000:
A demographic portrait with Gates’ updated 2008 numbers in news reports here and here.
Love Exile (my term) blogs:
Pop culture references:
- The Sound Strike: Artists boycott of Arizona (Strike Songs here).
- Elizabeth Gilbert’s latest book Committed.
- Senate Bill 3932, The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2010.
And finally, contact me here if you have ideas, stories, questions or concerns.